If you’re like me, you’ll be starting your Black Friday shopping this year with a brand new 4K TV set. For beginners, 4K TVs deliver 4 times of the pixel count of a 1080p HDTV, hence the reason for calling them Ultra High Definition. Whether you’re planning to buy your first LCD or LED TV, or you’re just upgrading your old one to have more definition and clarity in your pictures and games, the most recent TVs are promising great entertainment options. My current entertainment system is certainly outdated right now. I have a 32″ Samsung HDTV at 720p max (not even 1080p) and a Gateway PC connected to it via HDMI so I can watch popular streaming services like YouTube, Netflix, Hulu etc or just browse the web. I do have a Logitech K400 wireless keyboard that has a touchpad on it for pointer functionality.
First problem I’m having with this setup is, I have to manage two devices separately; click the remote to put the TV to standby and then put the PC to sleep separately. Second issue is; working with the wireless keyboard/touchpad combo (also used a wireless mouse) is just un-natural. The mouse needs a surface, the keyboard requires using both hands. And cables are required to connect the TV, connect the internet and power. So, a Smart TV with Wi-Fi and a web browser, streaming services and apps is a must to do away with these problems. All in one place. And controlled by one remote. And that remote should be a smart one that controls the pointer as well, just like a Playstation Move stick or Wii Remote controller and should be able to pause and play videos at the touch of a button. I think this must be the standard going forward everywhere. So I will only mention the TVs that I’m considering for this year’s shopping. It’s hard to find the TVs that have smart remotes with an online search and most shops don’t give us the opportunity to test the remotes in-store but here are some to start with. UHD upscaling and 120 Hz or 240 Hz refresh rates, mirroring your smart phone to the TV and the other way around are some of the available features.
- Beautifully thin and flat design
- Sports & Action flow super smooth via 240MotionRate
- Vibrant PurColor Technology
- Experience richer colors and deeper contrast w/ Precision Black Local Dimming
- (Note: I ended up buying this unit. It’s pretty responsive, clear picture for most of the video sources, 4K videos show just amazing, perfect Wi-Fi connectivity, easy to use Web Browser, Smart remote control is fun and extreme convenience. Play/Pause button is awesome. I was able to pair Playstation 4 game controller over Bluetooth to play games. Worked well with my PS3 system as well. Browsed thru pictures on the USB drive and also it found pictures on the Wireless Router system with DLNA. Mirroring pictures and streaming music from iPhone thru Samsung SmartView app is great but video streaming didn’t work well, it always breaks. Other downsides; Flash videos are not supported thru the Web Browser so some videos will not play while browsing the web. Sling TV app is not available in Tizen OS at the time of this writing. YouTube app hangs forever if you happen to start it right away after turning on the TV. (I had to re-install the app to resolve.) Overall, I’m pretty happy with it but expecting firmware or app updates for much better experience.)
- 4K UHD Smart LED TV with webOS 2.0.
- UF7600 – LG Smart TV with webOS 2.0
- 4K IPS Panel
- TruMotion 120Hz
- ENERGY STAR Qualified
- Curved screen creates an immersive viewing experience
- 4K UHD delivers resolution 4X higher than Full HD
- Smart TV gives access to TV, Apps, streaming content and more with a simple, intuitive interface
- Auto Depth Enhancer creates a greater sense of depth
- Ultra Clear Panel minimizes glare to deliver a great viewing experience
If you’re planning to upgrade your programming as well, check out the deals from Verizon.
Your choice of PS4 or XBox One.
- Includes: 500 GB PlayStation 4 System, 1 DualShock 4 Wireless Controller, AC Power Cable, HDMI Cable, USB 2.0 Cable, Mono Wired Headset, and Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection game disc.
- With PlayStation Network and PlayStation Plus (sold separately), gain access to free games, next-gen online multiplayer, and more.
- Cutting edge graphics bring game worlds to life like never before, and next gen processing speed gets you into your games faster than ever.
- Connect with your friends to broadcast and celebrate your epic moments at the press of the Share button to Twitch, UStream, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter.
- Stream music, movies, sports, and television on Netflix, Amazon, and more. Subscription fees may apply.
- Includes: 500GB hard drive Xbox One Console, full-game digital download of Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, newly updated Xbox One black wireless controller with a 3.5mm headset jack so you can plug in any compatible headset, 14-day trial of Xbox Live Gold, AC Power Cable, and an HDMI Cable.
- Includes access to the entire Xbox 360 Gears of War collection to play on Xbox One at no additional cost if you play Gears of War: Ultimate Edition on Xbox Live before 12/31/2015.
- Includes early access to the Gears of War 4 Beta.
- Play five campaign chapters never released on console and experience competitive multiplayer in 60FPS with 19 maps and six game modes.
- Quickly switch between your games, live TV, and apps like Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, and HBO GO.
- Play select Xbox 360 games on your Xbox One with backwards compatibility.
or some like me, it’s also probably the time to upgrade your laptop PC or Mac or get a tablet.
You might be looking for a brand new smart phone and possibly wireless service. Check out these deals:
And last word for those that are still connecting a PC to the TV; just go get an Air Mouse. I realized very late that these products are available in the market.
Shop wisely and make sure to spend within the budget. All the best![amazon asin=B016P6KIFY&template=add to cart]